13 March 2006

Whale watching

This was really amazing today. It started out with a beautyfull drive from Christchurch, through the hills and mountains up to the ocean. The views from the bus were great. All different kinds of green hillsides, blue skies with some with clouds, which looked like little sheep up in the sky. And then all of a sudden there was the ocean. Mountains are flowing out right into the ocean. It's an awesome sight and really hard to describe when you're not there. Went to see a sealcolony, but I think most of the seals were either on holiday or out for a swim, as only one seal was laying there on the beach. I can't blame the others, as it wasn't very warm so not very nice to lay out there. Then of to see the whales. I went on a boat and we went about 4kms from the coast. At first the water was blue/green, a really light color and it was only 2m deep. After about 15 minutes on the boat all of sudden the water turned really deep dark blue and the depth was like 1000m. Wow, the guide told us the whales like it when it 's at least 500m, so we are on the right spot. And yes indeed, do you guys know the cover of de Lonely Planet New Zealand...??!! I made a picture just like that. Isn't that awesome. Well I think it is :-) I still can't believe this big sperm whale is so huge, it was even bigger than the boat, and the boat wasn't that small. Later, in the early evening I went up to see if there were some more seals... and yess, now there were 3 of 'm. Okay, I'm on holiday, so they can be as well. Hope that they are enjoying it as much as I am.

No comments: