20 March 2006

Sealions & Penguins

Today it was time to go to Dunedin. I didn't get to see a lot of the city as I planned to go to a wildlife reserve instead and I had only one day to spend here. The arrival with the bus was pretty early and I had some time to put my stuff up in the room. It was a small group with which I went up to Otago Peninsula. I got to see the huge Albatros and also sealions. A male sealion can weigh up to 400kgs and move as fast as 20km/h on land. In the water he is even able to swim as fast as 40km/h. They live next to the yellow Eye Penguin. Both are protected and the population grew over the past couple of years which is ofcourse good. It was a nice walk along the coast and it was funny to see how close sheep live to the sealions and penguins. The guide even told us that when the weather got really bad a couple of years ago, the were actually laying next to eachother as the beach was gone at that time. Amazing isn't it. The ended with a beautyful sunset which I partially saw on the hill near the beach and the other part from the bus driving back to the city.

No comments: