11 November 2006

Paihia & Cape Reinga

Awesome. On friday I went up to Paihia in the Bay of Islands. Next time I defenitely want to spend some more time there. This time I didn't have much time left as I had planned a full day tour all the way to Cape Reinga, Top of the North. The trip to Paihia was alreay amazing, again beautyful scenery all around, Whaipoua Forest, with all the Kauri Trees. We arrived in Paihia at around 5pm. So I didn't get to see/do a lot there. I just went for a nice walk around the beach, climed over the rockt, trying to find may way around. Sat down a bit a tried to watch the sunste, but I got a bit to cold and there were to may clouds anyways. Saturdaymoring it was a 7am pickup to go to Cape Reinga. To drive was again very nice, thru all these little towns and harbours up to Ninety Mile beach. There we actually left the road and were racing down the beach. The tide was coming in, so we got to ride thru the water for a bit. Pretty cool. Then we arrived at the sanddunes. Got some sandboards and wnet to walk all the way up the sanddune. A hard walk but well worth it. The sun was coming out to, s it was actually a kind of nice out there. First time a went down on the board I found it quite scary. It was steep and I didn;t no what to expect. 2nd and 3rd time was great. After 3 time I was done with climbing up the hill in this very soft sand. It actually was quite a workout... 2 steps up and 1 step down. The we drove on the Cape Reinga, there where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean meet. Then a little further in we had a lunch at the beach and the return trip went via another part of the Kauri tree forest. I also got a nice picture of a beginning of a fern ... you know that part that looks like a koru....

I actually got the Koru tattood on my foot a couple of days ago! Pretty cool he... NZ will always be with me that way :-)

No comments: