11 April 2006

Les Mills... Why?

Good question, why do I like Les Mills? About 5 years ago I took my very first Bodypump class at gym nearby. I had always liked weighttraining, but I got bored doing that on my own. Bodypump seemed to be the invention for me. Training weights and still have people around me doing the same thing. I was impressed about how the program worked and the possibility for each and every individual to train at their own level. I have always been involved in top sports (synchronized swimming) and I could train on my own level, together with people who just started out training at a gym. Amazing. I was also able to keep track of my own improvement as in a certain way you know what to expect from the class. After a few months they started teaching Bodypump at my own gym and I took the classes there. Still enjoying it a lot, I combined it with other freestyle classes. Then the instructor who was teaching my pump classes got a new job and did not teach the classes anymore. Unfortunately they did not have anyone to take her place. At the gym they came up to me and asked, are you interested in teaching pump? Well, I was interested but I did not have any teaching experience, except my synchro coaching experience for many years. They still wanted me to do so, so I went to the Les Mills instructor training for Bodypump. An amazing 3 days in which I have learned so much and which helped me getting started as a pump instructor. Ofcouse I was nervous for every single class I had to teach, but thanks to the quarterly workshops and masterclasses, I kept learning on my teaching skills. Now a few years later I'm also teaching Bodycombat and Bodyattack. I love all 3 programs and each program has things I enjoy. As for all Les Mills programs I like the fixed format, for me as an intructor, but also when I started as a member. It gives you the opportunity to really enjoy your class, instead of keep on worrying about the choreography and thinking on what to do next. The programs are put together in a way it is possible for everyone to follow the classes, have a good work out and most important: to have fun!!

No comments: