25 October 2007

From South to North

Yeah, I made my way up to the North Island. And wow what an amazing trip it was yesterday. The train left Christchurch at 07.00 am already. A shuttle goes through town and stops at the hostels to pick people up. Good service as the train station is pretty far out of the way.
The train was comfortable and the nice thing about is, that there is a viewing balcony. It's open and good to take pictures. I really enjoyed the trip. Saw so many things go by. Most impressive to me are still the mountains with snowy tops. So weird to see those when you see the Pacific on the other side. Also saw penguins and seals swim in the ocean. Later on, the landscape changed into vineyards, as the weather is good for that at the top of the south island. The train arrived 5 hours after it departed in Picton, but time went by so quickly. Than went on the Inter islander ferry. It was amazing how beautiful it was the trip through the Marlborough Sounds. I'm so glad I finally got to this ferry crossing. I already know my pictures will not show the beauty I saw in real. You just gotta go and see it for yourself.
Got to Wellington late afternoon, but for me it was just to spend the night as I left early this morning to go to Napier.

I love this city. I love the art deco. I have been walking around for just about the whole afternoon, enjoyed the sun for a bit while having a frappuchino, walked all the way up to Bluff Hill Viewing point, wearing my flip-flops, or should I say jandals while over here in Kiwi land :-)
Had good dinner at some place near the boulevard and then played around with my camera, trying to make good pictures from the colourful fountain.
Auckland is getting closer and closer ....

No comments: