19 October 2007

AMS - KIX - AKL - CHC

Wow that was quite a trip. Flew after a day of work to Osaka. Had a great flight 3 seats for me and was able to get a pretty good sleep for about 4 hours on board I think. Arriving in Japan I was very glad there were signs in English as well so I managed to get my way to the train station. Bough a day pass which would get me to Kyoto and back. I was right on time catch the 10.15 train. The doors closed right behind my backpack. The train ride was about 75 minutes. Arriving in Kyoto was an experience. How to get out. The only words I understood were Arrivals, departures and Exit. Well you would think with exit it's easy to get out .... uuhhh which exit .... Just took a guess and picked the right one. Started walking and after a while I figured out how to get to Gion, the area where the geisha's are. It was nice walking around after an 11 hour flight. The weather was great (23 Celsius) the sun was out. After about an 1 1/2 walking through smalls streets I got in another different world ... you the book about the geisha? Well that's where I just arrived. Amazing! I was told the geisha's usually don't get out before 4 pm ... but I saw quite a few walking around. Waiting patiently for people with camera's. I walked around for a while, saw some temples and then I decided to go to the station and then the airport. After almost 4 hours of walking my feet were tired. I still had some time left for the flight. Slept for a bit and ate and drank.
On the next flight I did not sleep at all. It was quite a full flight. Read, watched a movie, some comedy's, played games and then it was time to land. Immigration etc in Auckland went pretty fast this time so I managed to get a 1pm flight to Christchurch. Found a place to sleep there and more important .... a hot shower. After arranging stuff to go to Akaroa and Stewart Island .... I was knock out and fall asleep at 7pm. Woke up only once during the night and this morning my alarm woke me up at 7.30 Left the hostel at around 8.15 to get a coffee at Starbucks (Yeah!) Exactly like 1 year and a half ago. At 9.00 the bus left for Akaroa. Awesome views all around the banks Peninsula. Clear blue sky, we even got to see the Southern Alps all covered with snow.
When I arrived in Akaroa I walked around for a bit, sat in the sun even though it's fairly cold, had lunch and then went to the wharf for a swim tour with the Hector Dolphin, the smallest Dolphin in the world, only living in this area. The dolphin will be maximum 1.20m (female)-1.40m (male). After a little while we saw penguins, but still no dolphins. Finally there was one, but this one was probably still hungry and getting his fish. No interest in playing. Then all of a sudden 3 dolphins came up to the boat .. all curious. I don't think I was ever so happy and quick in cold water as I was now. So cool..... 3 dolphins swimming around us, coming up to you, I can't describe how that is. After about 35 minutes the called us in the boat again as the dolphins had left. I think my body temperature went down about 10 degrees. I was shaking all over, but is was well worth it. I spilled my hot chocolate all over as I kept on shaking. Arriving at the wharf again, took of my wetsuit and could only get a quick shower as the bus was waiting for me. Wow what a great day!!!
Tomorrow I'm off to Invercargill and Stewart Island.
Keep you posted. Big hug!

No comments: