22 January 2007

Stormy days

Wow, we had quite a couple of weird days. Last Thursday it started. Heavy winds turned into storm later. Windswept of over 130km/hr came from south west. At the airport we all had to work xtra long shifts as we had a lot of flight cancellations. When I drove home it rained really bad as well. When I got home, the sun was shining and I could see bright blue skies (still hard winds, but it didn't look like that). Then I went to the gym to teach and during the relaxation of BB, my colleague thought the mic was making weird noises, but it actually was the building making scary sounds. I could see the lights outside going from left to right. It was quite scary. I heard members say that trees fall down etc. Around their neighborhood. Luckily I had no damage around my house, even though I live on the highest floor of the apartment building. The next day I had to work again. I already heard the noise when I was walking thru the arrivals hall, but when I walked up the stairs to go to the departure hall (where the ticketoffice is located), I could hardly get to the desk. People everywhere. I saw on tv the day b4 how many trainpassengers got stranded at the trainstations as no trains where going, well Schiphol airport looked a sort of the same. We all worked very hard to get the people to their destinations as soon as we could. Sometimes it was difficult, but most people could understand the situation. Some people were even glad they got stranded on Thursday, because they had such a bad experience landing that day, that they didn't want to continue at all at that time. Because the flightschedule was so messed up, with crew making to many hours, flights stranded at other European cities it took the whole weekend to get back to normal. So I was quite happy I had the day off of work today. So far the temperatures have been warm for the time of the year, but for the coming days they predict temperatures below 0 Celsius... :-( I do not like cold weather. Let's keep our fingers crossed this won't go to extremes. I think it's scary that the whole world has to do with strange weather features. My cousin lives in Bahrain. At Christmas time it's supposed to be 20-25 Celsius over there. This time they it was around 8 Celsius. In Moscow, and a lot of other places in Russia it's supposed to be freezing cold, and there it's way above 0 Celsius as well. In the US, there's extreme snow fall. I wonder where we'll all be going.

No comments: